MAP Youth Futures Program

By Aweso Noor

This is the beginning of something great. In my opinion, sooner or later, MAP is going to breed many young gentlemen and gentlewomen. MAP’s youth employees are being offered a program that’ll ensure success.

Many will wonder what the MAP Youth Futures Program is. I’d respond with, the program is geared toward MAP youth, but I think it should accept anyone who wants to get involved in it.  It just started on December 4th and it’s meant to support youth post high school graduation.  It’s a great program for us to learn more about college and careers. Youth will get a feel of different majors, college life, and the college process through different guest speakers.

The MAP Youth Futures Program happens once a month during Growing Green’s big group meetings.  The program lasts for approximately 30 minutes.  Each month a new guest speaker is present to speak on behalf of the majors they studied in college and related to their work experience.

Last Wednesday was the first day, the program was kick-started with Candice Cooke who came to speak about her career as an Engineer at General Motors (GM) and being an engineering major in college.  Personally, I’ve taken a few things out of the talk she gave.  She went on to talk even further on her internships while in college, how her hard work as an intern led to her hiring at GM.

This program is in its young stage but I’m optimistic that it’s a great program with many benefits for everyone involved.

A word from the author: My name is Aweso Noor.  I’m a MAP youth employee currently working in the school year program.  I’ve been a part of MAP since the summer of 2013 and I’m looking forward to working in the 2014 summer program as well.  This school year will mark the end of my high school career at Canisius High School.  After the summer, I’m anxious to go on to college with the hope of playing college basketball.  A life full of new experiences, friends, and success awaits.  I just have to make it happen.  Let me end with one of my favorite quotes, “Success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time than you’ve been knocked down”. - Unknown

Comments